Arch Coal Names 17 West Virginia Teachers Recipients of Golden Apple Award
June 4, 2001
Seventeen West Virginia teachers today were named recipients of the Arch Coal, Inc. Golden Apple Achiever Award.
“The Golden Apple Achiever Award is presented to teachers who received very high scores in the Teacher Achievement Award competition and narrowly missed being named an award winner this year,” said Deck S. Slone, Vice President of Investor and Public Relations. “In many cases, the Golden Apple Achiever recipients were only tenths of a percentage point away from receiving the highest award.
“Arch Coal believes teaching excellence is one of the important foundations of classroom learning,” Slone said. “It is obvious that West Virginia has a great number of excellent teachers and we are pleased to honor them.”
The 17 recipients of the Golden Apple Achiever Award are:
- Monica Beane, Braxton County Middle School, Sutton;
- Delia Bolyard, Neale Elementary, Vienna;
- Felicia Burger-Westfall, Tennerton Elementary, Buckhannon;
- Nancy Davis, Romney Elementary, Romney;
- Lilianne Dent, Cabell Midland High School, Ona;
- Debbie Kuhns, Rivesville Elementary, Rivesville;
- Debbie Nicholson, Bridgeport High School, Bridgeport;
- Ellen Oderman, Cheat Lake Middle School, Morgantown;
- Patricia Porter, Salt Rock Elementary, Salt Rock;
- Victoria Robb, Grandview School, Charleston;
- Alice Rowe, Bridgeport High School, Bridgeport;
- Kellan Sarles, Princeton High School, Princeton;
- Kathy Shaffer, Grace Christian School, Huntington;
- Cindy Staton, Huff Consolidated School, Hanover;
- Cynthia Tallamy, Nicholas County High School, Summersville;
- Carla Warren, Scott-Teays Elementary, Scott Depot; and
- Amber Zachery, Ridgedale Elementary, Morgantown.
Nomination forms were sent to each public and private school, were available at participating sponsor Speedway, and also were available on the Arch Coal site on the Internet. More than 500 nominations were received from throughout the state.
Arch Coal is the nation’s second largest coal producer and employs about 2,000 people in West Virginia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: ACI) and maintains its corporate headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.